|Joseph Callenes-Sloan||Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering|
I am an assistant professor in the Erik Jonsson School of Engineering & Computer Science at the Univeresity of Texas at Dallas. I recieved my PhD and MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, where I worked with Rakesh Kumar in the PASSAT research group.
Fault Tolerant Systems, Scientific and High Performance Computing, Computer Architecture, Low-power Design and Architectures.
My current research focuses on algorithmic techniques and architectures for tolerating and harnessing noise in stochastic systems, especially in the context of low energy processors.
I am looking for ambitious and motivated graduate/undergraduate students. If you are a UTD graduate/undergraduate student looking for an advisor or if you are someone interested in applying to UTD for graduate studies, email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to do research in computer architecture, scientific and high performance computing, low power design, fault tolerance and/or CAD/architecture interactions. Please attach your CV as well.
- Yi-Min Wang and Pi-Yu Chung Endowed Research Award (2013)
- Co-Chair, International Workshop on Algorithmic and Application Error Resilience (AER) June 2013
- 2012 ECE/Intel Computer Engineering Fellowship
- 2011 SRC Techcon Best Paper in Session Award (2011)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, Outstanding Ratings in Top 10%. (08-09)
- Nominated for Harold L. Olesen Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2009)
- Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society) (2006)
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon Scholarship (Computer Science honor society) (2005)
- Iowa State Presidentís Leadership Class (2003)
- The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (2003)
- On Undergraduate Deanís List every semester (2002-2007)
- Joseph Sloan, Greg Bronevetsky, and Rakesh Kumar, "An Algorithmic Approach to Error Localization and Partial Recomputation for Low-Overhead Fault Tolerance on Parallel Systems", In the 43rd Annual IEEE/FIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DCCS-DSN, Budapest, June 2013. (PDF).
- Rakesh Kumar and Joseph Sloan. "Fortifying (even) discrete Applications against soft errors", In the SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering. February 2013. (PDF). (invited)
- Joseph Sloan. " Algorithmic Approaches to Building Robust Applications for HPC Systems of the Future " Super Computing Dissertation Research Showcase, SC, Salt Lake City, November 2012. (PDF).
- Joseph Sloan, Rakesh Kumar,and Greg Bronevetsky. " Algorithmic Approaches to Low Overhead Fault Detection for Sparse Linear Algebra. " In the 42nd IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DCCS-DSN, Boston, June 2012. (PDF).
- Joseph Sloan, John Sartori, and Rakesh Kumar. " Exploiting Application-Level Error Tolerance in Software Design for Stochastic Processors. " In the 49th Design and Automation Conference. DAC, San Francisco, June 2012. (PDF). (invited)
- John Sartori, Joseph Sloan, and Rakesh Kumar. Stochastic Computing: Embracing Errors in Architecture and Design of Processors and Applications. In the International Conference on Compilers, Architecture, and Synthesis of Embedded Systems. CASES, Tapie, October 2011. (PDF).
- Joseph Sloan, Rakesh Kumar, Greg Bronevetsky, and Tzanio Kolev. Algorithmic Techniques for Fault Detection for Sparse Linear Algebra. In the SRC TECHCON Conference 2011. TECHCON, Austin, September 2011. (Best Paper in Session Award).
- Joseph Sloan, David Kesler, Rakesh Kumar, Ali Rahimi, A Numerical Optimization-based Methodology for Application Robustification: Transforming Applications for Error Tolerance. In the IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks,DCCS-DSN, Chicago, June 2010. (PDF).
- Joseph Sloan, David Kesler, Rakesh Kumar, Ali Rahimi, A Numerical Optimization-based Methodology for Application Robustification. IEEE Workshop on Silicon Errors in Logic - System Effects, SELSE, March 2010
- Joseph Sloan and Rakesh Kumar. Towards Scalable Reliability Frameworks for Error Prone CMPs. In the International Conference on Compilers, Architecture, and Synthesis for Embedded Systems, CASES, Grenoble, October 2009. (PDF).
- John Sartori, Joseph Sloan and Rakesh Kumar. Fluid NMR - Performing Power/Reliability Tradeoffs for Applications with Error Tolerance. In the USENIX Workshop on Power-aware Computing and Systems (HotPower 2009), October 2009. (PDF).
- Joseph Sloan and Rakesh Kumar. Hardware/System Support for Four Economic Models for Manycore Computing UIUC CRHC Technical Report CRHC-07-07, December 2007.
- Served as Course Instructor (Summer 2009) and Head TA (2008-2009) for ECE 290: Computer Engineering I (UIUC). I was included on the List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Studentsí, with Outstanding Ratings in the Top 10%. (2008-2009).
- Founder and advisor for Wide-Impact Developmental Engineering (WIDE) at UIUC. (2010-2012). Mentored several undergraduate and graduate students on ECE-related projects supporting humanitarian projects partnered with the Arial Home Foundation and other external non-profit organizations.
- Served as member of the Freshman Council Education Committee at Iowa State University of Science and Technology. (2002).
I enjoy hiking, running, and climbing outdoors when not working on research. :)